Menu Close

How to Obtain a Work Permit for the UK?

The UK is one of the most sought-after tourist destinations in the world. The country is not only popular because of its magnificent lakes and museums, but it also offers a plethora of work and employment opportunities to foreign nationals from around the globe.

But getting a work permit for the UK is not as easy as it may sound. There are many factors involved that you must pay attention to before you choose to work in the UK.

If you are interested in moving to the UK for work but not sure about where to start, you’ve come to the right place.

How to Obtain a Work Permit for the UK? 

Before you apply for the UK work permit, you have to understand the various types of work visas available for Non-UK citizens.

Broadly, there are four types of work permits available for Non-UK citizens, these are:

1. Short-Term Work Visas

The short-term UK work visas are part of the UK points-based system. These visas are further divided into:

  • Tier 5 UK Charity Worker Visa: This visa type is for people who are willing to do unpaid charity work in the UK.
  • Tier 5 UK Government Authorized Exchange Visa: This visa category is for individuals who want to do a training of fellowship through an accredited authorised exchange scheme.
  • Tier 5 UK Religious Worker Visa: This Tier 5 visa category is for people who want to visit the UK for short-term religious work.

2. Long-Term Work Visas

The UK long-term visas are part of the Tier 2 visa category. Long-term UK work visas are further divided into:

  • General UK Work Visa: General UK Work visa is for those persons from outside the EEA and Switzerland who have received an offer to work in the UK.
  • Intra-Company Transfer Visa: If your employer is based overseas and he has offered you a position in the UK, you may have to apply for the Intra-company Transfer visa.

3. Investor/Business Development/Talent Visas

The country has also introduced different visa categories for foreign investors and talented individuals. Some of the popular Foreign Investor, Business Development, and Talent visa categories include:

  • UK Innovator Visa: UK Innovator visa is for those non-UK citizens who wish to establish and run their business in the UK.
  • Tier 1 UK Graduate Entrepreneur Visa: Graduates having feasible business ideas can apply for a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa to start their business in the UK.
  • Tier 1 UK Investor Visa: This visa category is for investors who’re capable of investing £200,000 or more in the UK.

4. Other Work Visas

Getting a Work Permit

Before submitting an application, you must confirm that you have received an employment offer from a recognised employer who’ll also act as your sponsor.

You have to receive a Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your employer, which will allow you to apply for the UK work permit.

Finally, you should pass the points-based assessment. The UK work permit application is led by the sponsor/employer who will also issue a Certificate of Sponsorship.

All of these visa categories come with their individual requirements. This is why it is better to seek professional advice first to determine if you’re eligible for a certain visa type.

Do You Have An Enquiry?

Get In Touch Or Fill Out Our Online Enquiry Form.